In this dire time where human rights are jeopardized & lives seem not 2 matter, I find it appropriate 2 reintroduce a period where people actually fought for what they believed in. The Black Panther Party’s bold approach to gun rights & police brutality has absolute relevance 50 years later! Have things actually chanced since then? Depends on who you ask.
1966– Black Panther Party was founded by Huey P.Newton and Bobby Seale on October 15,1966
1967– The first BPP office was open at 5624 Grove Street, Oakland, CA in January
-Denzil Dowell is shot and killed by sheriff’s deputies on April 1. Black Panthers respond in protecting the Dowell family.
-First newspaper is published on April 25 with headlines “Why was Dennzil Dowell Killed?”
– 30 armed Black Panther Activist go to California State Capitol, on May 2 to protest the Mulford Act which was a bill banning the display of loaded weapons.
1968– On February 8, Black Panther activists in south carolina at South Carolina State were shot by local police and National Guard 33 were shot, 3 were killed.
– On February 17, “Free Huey” rally was held at the Oakland Auditorium on his birthday. Over 5,000 people attended.
– In April New York Black Panther Party chapter is organized.
-On May 6, Bobby Hutton is killed during a shoot out with the police.
-In March Arthur Morris, was shot and killed by the U.S. government. He was the first member of the Black Panther Party to be killed.
– 6,000 protestors came out and supported Huey Newton on the steps of the Alameda County Courthouse in Oakland.
-On September 28 Huey P. Newton is sentenced to 2 to 15 years in prison
– In Newark the BPP office was bombed on December 7
– On December 21, Denver police raid Panther office searching for weapons, but none is found. Officers burn food and clothing were to be given to poor during the holidays.
1969 -In January the Free Breakfast for Children Program (FBCP) is established at St. Augustine’s Church in Oakland.
– In Vallejo, CA, Black Panther Party starts off the Breakfast program with 35 children within one week the number of children increases to 110
-On March 19, Panthers Bobby Seale and Masai Hewitt visted the Scandinavian countries. Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.
– On May 4, the “Free Huey” rallies were being held in 20 major cities at U.S. federal district courts.
-On June 4 the Liberation School, one of the BPP survival programs is started
-Bobby Seale is kidnapped after leaving the Masai Hewitt and Shirley Neely wedding.
-In Chicago BPP open a free medical health clinic. Another one of the major survival program on September 4.
1977-On July 1st 1977 Huey P.Newton arrives back to California
1979-August 22 Huey P.Newton is murdered in West Oakland, California
From my experience in this life history has the tendency 2 repeat itself while learning from previous mistakes & making necessary adjustments.
So where do we go from here?…anyone?
Southside Economic Development Project.